- This event has passed.
Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health
Session 2, Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health, delves into the science behind materials and human health to understand how material substances reach people and lead to health consequences. It provides guidance on the complex landscape of health tools by introducing the different types of tools available to make educated decisions about products and what to consider when selecting and using these tools.
- Participants will be able to summarize the key human health drivers for sourcing healthy, sustainable materials.
- Participants will be able to describe how substances in materials reach people, the potential effects on human health, and how some people are more at risk than others
- Participants will be able to explain the differences among tools, including databases, labels, certifications and others, used for screening products, assessing their impact, and disclosing their ingredients.
- Participants will be able to identify the appropriate health tool to use on a project and the key information needed to select healthy sustainable materials.
About the Materials Matter Series
Get up to speed on healthy, sustainable materials!
The AIA Materials Matter initiative is empowering architects to become advocates for materials transparency, and in so doing, enhancing design of a healthier, greener, more prosperous, and more equitable built environment.
Five part series | 20 CEU/HSW
8:00AM-12:30PM at AIA Portland
Join us for Materials Matter, a five-session series delivering comprehensive, high-level knowledge and strategies for assessing and selecting healthy, sustainable materials. Sessions will delve into the impact of materials on the environment and human health; the tools and data useful for assessing and prioritizing materials; and the strategies for integrating informed decision-making into projects and practice. Speakers will reveal the perspectives of project team members and other partners connected with materials and share the learnings and approaches of successful projects.
This series offers guidance on navigating the complex landscape of disclosures and transparency in order to assess and reduce the environmental and health impacts of products. Sessions will include presentations, panels, case studies, and activities, and participants will walk away from each session with action items for integrating the curriculum into their work.
Materials Matter Series
September 20: Why Materials Matter: Building Product Impacts
October 11: Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health
November 8: Healthy Planet: Materials + the Environment
December 6: Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
January 10: Beyond Transparency: Materials Disclosure + Practice
Select any date to register for the entire series!
Due to generous funding from our sponsors at Oregon DEQ we are offering the following opportunities to save:
- Member prices to related industry organizations (ASID, IIDA, AGC, CSI, ASLA, ASCE, SEAO, SEAW, ASMTE, PMTC)
- Member firm incentives: Large/medium member firms (16+ staff) Register 2, send 1 free. Small firms (1-15 staff) Register 1, send 1 free. Must be a member firm of AIA Portland. Contact Adrienne Morris for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- $10,000 in scholarships! Scholarship applications due August 31.Learn more here »
Cover image courtesy AIA Seattle.