- This event has passed.
Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
Materials Matter Session 4, Just Do It: Strategies for Projects presents frameworks for integrating knowledge of environmental and human health impacts from material substances into projects. It explores strategies at play when materials decisions are driven by clients, rating-systems, firms, and even individual initiative. Case studies share lessons learned from on the ground experiences, and speakers candidly discuss the different perspectives and motivators of project team members.
- Participants will be able to summarize project case studies which used healthy, sustainable materials and describe the challenges and opportunities of client-driven and architect-driven approaches.
- Participants will be able to explain the different perspectives, pressures, and responsibilities of project team members related to materials transparency.
- Participants will be able to construct strategies for applying a materials matter approach to projects by understanding motivators for different project team members.
- Participants will be able to identify strategies at the individual level to constructively promote awareness of healthy materials selection among product representatives and colleagues.
About the Materials Matter Series
Get up to speed on healthy, sustainable materials!
The AIA Materials Matter initiative is empowering architects to become advocates for materials transparency, and in so doing, enhancing design of a healthier, greener, more prosperous, and more equitable built environment.
Five part series | 20 CEU/HSW
8:00AM-12:30PM at AIA Portland
Join us for Materials Matter, a five-session series delivering comprehensive, high-level knowledge and strategies for assessing and selecting healthy, sustainable materials. Sessions will delve into the impact of materials on the environment and human health; the tools and data useful for assessing and prioritizing materials; and the strategies for integrating informed decision-making into projects and practice. Speakers will reveal the perspectives of project team members and other partners connected with materials and share the learnings and approaches of successful projects.
This series offers guidance on navigating the complex landscape of disclosures and transparency in order to assess and reduce the environmental and health impacts of products. Sessions will include presentations, panels, case studies, and activities, and participants will walk away from each session with action items for integrating the curriculum into their work.
Materials Matter Series
September 20: Why Materials Matter: Building Product Impacts
October 11: Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health
November 8: Healthy Planet: Materials + the Environment
December 6: Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
January 10: Beyond Transparency: Materials Disclosure + Practice
Select any date to register for the entire series!
Due to generous funding from our sponsors at Oregon DEQ we are offering the following opportunities to save:
- Member prices to related industry organizations (ASID, IIDA, AGC, CSI, ASLA, ASCE, SEAO, SEAW, ASMTE, PMTC)
- Member firm incentives: Large/medium member firms (16+ staff) Register 2, send 1 free. Small firms (1-15 staff) Register 1, send 1 free. Must be a member firm of AIA Portland. Contact Adrienne Morris for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- $10,000 in scholarships! Scholarship applications due August 31.Learn more here »
Cover image courtesy AIA Seattle.